The Puerto Rico Hotel & Tourism Association Educational Fund was created by the Human Resources and Education Committee on January 2007. It is funded by a percentage of the proceeds of several fundraising events including Saborea Puerto Rico, Lifetime Achievement Award, Casino Night and Annual Convention Silent Auction, among others. Funds are held in the Human Resources and Education Committee account administered by the Committee and supervised by the President and CEO and Treasurer. As of today, we have offered seminars and trainings to 1,000 tourism industry employees.
Some of the funds are invested in offering Puerto Rico's first custom-made customer service seminar. Developed by Annie Mariel Arroyo, PhD. Six Keys for Top-Notch Service is a 20-hour certification. It includes the title of Six Keys Service Provider at the completion of the course.
The Educational Fund has established the Annual Abimaél Semprit Educational Award, in honor of our late Treasurer. The award will offer continued education to one industry employee.
The Fund is dedicated to assisting employees of the industry in need of skills that will help them advance in their careers. The Fund will help them with certifications, English courses, develop culinary skills, among others.
Educational Fund Policies:
- Employees requesting assistance must be recommended by their supervisor and present the request to the Human Resources Director.
- Employee must complete an application form requesting his/her educational need.
- A clear exposition must be made as to the purpose of the request, the manner in which the funds will be used, and what evidence will be presented to show how the funds have been used.
- Applications must be directed to the Human Resources and Education Committee.
- Funds will be disbursed by check in the name of the applicant or organization following approval by the Committee.
Types of assistance:
- The Puerto Rico Hotel & Tourism Association Educational Fund is not a scholarship program. Applications for assistance with tuition or fees will not be considered.
- Funds are considered a grant for a specific purpose and are not expected to be repaid.
- There is no pre-established limit to the minimum or maximum amount of funds to be granted per individual, but funding levels will normally not exceed $500 per applicant.
- Individuals and/or their employers must provide reasonable evidence that funds were used for the purpose granted within three months of the date of the grant.
- All grants are conditioned on the receipt of a completed application, fulfillment of all eligibility conditions, availability of funds and positive action by the Committee concerning the request.
- The Puerto Rico Hotel & Tourism Association is under no obligation to grant funds.
- Funds raised for the Puerto Rico Hotel & Tourism Association Educational Fund will not be used for any purpose other than those specified in this document.
Eligible Grant Areas:
The idea of the Puerto Rico Hotel & Tourism is to assist employees of the industry that need to learn skills to advance in their careers. There are no pre-defined limitations on eligible grant areas, other than those described above. Normally, assistance will be granted to:
- Attend seminars, courses, workshops, certifications, conferences or conventions in Puerto Rico related to the employee’s position. The grant can be applied to registration fees and educational materials.
- Attend an off-island seminar, workshop, conference or convention related to the employee’s field at an off-island location. Proof of registration and source of remaining funding must be presented with the request.
- Other one-time, special need, career-related grants may be considered on the recommendation of the applicant’s supervisor and/or Human Resources Director.